Monday 28 March 2016

Using My Senses- March 11, 2016

Over the past few months, during my illness recovery, I have been trying to be a better person. Trying to grow and develop. In all aspects of my life. Some things are easier to develop than others. More failures than successes. I focus on the controllable factors. I won't be able to do it all in a week or even a month. It will take time. I am trying

I have made a lot of mistakes in the past. Never apologizing or always avoiding things. Go through life like a coward. I lived life scared and suppressed with my illness. It made me into someone I despised. The reflection in the mirror was enough to make me vomit. I knew what I was doing wrong. Actually, that is a lie. I didn't know what I was doing and I didn't know how to stop. I figured, since I am already in a hole, just as well to see how far I could go. Never thinking I could get out of it. I felt as if I was beyond repair. No hope. Being in my twenties, I thought I had enough. I didn't know there was help available. I didn't know what it looked like. No clue. The sad reality is this; if I had continued down the same road, continuing to dig my hole deeper, I would have given up. The truth is, my son probably would have found his father's body. Ice cold. The blood not running. The heart not pumping. The brain shut down. That would be a traumatic experience for him.

That won't happen now. He won't find his daddy in a pool of his own blood. The days can be tough. They can be rough. It's not an easy road. I am learning different ways to cope, to fight. One of those methods is tapping in and becoming aware of my senses. Think less, and let my senses guide me. They cannot lie to me. The mind creates lies and fiction. The senses is the key to honesty. To the truth.

I am learning to perceive with my senses. Taste, touch, hearing, seeing, and smelling. I am understanding how the brain uses the senses to create stories. There are two hemispheres. The left side and the right side. I am not a doctor, but how I understand it is like this; The right side of our brain receives our senses. Whether it be seeing something or hearing a sound, or whatever sense is in use. It is the left side of the brain that does the judging and makes up stories. The right side of the brain holds no judgement. It is the left side that creates fictional stories. Could be stereotyping. I cannot discuss with any educational certainty on the science behind it all, just the basics.

There are infinite examples to use. One example that has always been around is racism. Can you smell racism? Can you taste racism? You may hear some ignorant person say things about racism. You're not born a racist, are you? I don't think so. Actually, I know so. I wonder how many people see a person of Muslim culture or descent and immediately, without using their senses, make judgement about that person? An alarming rate if I was to make a guess. Sad really. Did you use any of your five senses to make a conclusion? Or did you make a prior judgement, AKA stereotype, of that person because of something you saw on TV or the news? That's what the left side of the brain does. It makes up stories. Can I filter my senses from the made up stories? I am trying.

One example of this is simple as a conversation. Next time I sit to talk with a person, I will listen intently. I listen with my ears, eyes, and nose. I listen to the voice and to the body language. I listen to the human being. Ever since I have been doing this discipline, I have been more emotionally invested in my conversations. I retain more info. I use my senses. I don't make prior judgments. I clear my mind, and I become invested in the conversation with my senses. Before learning this new skill, I was horrible to have a conversation with. Always waiting for it to end. No matter if it was with my parents, my son, my friends, co-workers, or whoever. I was never mentally present. My mind was never there. Always elsewhere. Off in another dimension. Not on this planet, let alone, in a conversation.

Is it fair to judge a person without getting to know them? I have done it before. It's not fair. Who am I to do that? Based on some false information my mind made up, I would make a judgement. We all get fooled like that from time to time. What do we, as society, see when we see a homeless person on the street? People avoid them. Some people verbally abuse them. Some people give them money Have you ever stopped to have a conversation? Why not? Because they live on the street? We know absolutely nothing about that person's life, yet we are qualified to judge them? Maybe they had a terrible upbringing. Maybe they lost all of their money. Maybe they lost their families. Maybe they are not educated enough to get a job. Maybe they are lazy. Maybe they haven't showered in weeks. Underneath the physical appearance, there is a human being in there. A person with thoughts and feelings. A person that may be lonely. A person that is vulnerable. Next time I see a homeless person, I am going to try not to judge that person by appearance. By odour. By whatever. It might only take five minutes, but I may ask a few questions. Hear what the person has to say. I am not better than a homeless person. I am no longer insecure, worrying what others may think of me.

This may not work for everyone or be effective in all situations. It is a technique that I myself have begun to use to help me fight my illness and become more in-touch with myself. To find out who I really am, deep down inside. It may sound like a cliché. I am not looking for sympathy or approval. It is just something I need to do for myself. To help get me better. To help make a difference. I don't expect it to happen overnight, but I will get better at using my senses to perceive this world. I envy the people that can already do that. They are special people.

I am not my mistakes. A friend sent me that sentence. It is so true. I have made a lot of mistakes. More than most. I am not seeking forgiveness. I am owning up to my mistakes. Trying not to make the same ones again. I am not blaming everything on my illness. I am aware that it had made me into a different person. Something I hated. Something other people hated. I was an anchor on my life and others around me. I need to create a new vision for my life's journey. And try not to worry much about the past. What is done is done. I will repair what can be fixed. I am confident about that. Some people will still hold judgement on who I was while I suffered in the past several years. That disease cast a shadow over me and prevented me from being a solid human being. I wasn't a bad person, I just wasn't living my life. I sucked at life and had everyone fooled.

Denial is the first stage. Well, it was for me. How can I be Depressed? Mental Health wasn't a concern. I knew very little about the topic. Also, I couldn't tell no one I was Depressed. It was too embarrassing. I play and coach in the most manly, tough guy sport in this country. How would it look if I was crying to someone about my problems? Or if I even complained I was having suicidal thoughts? I was under the impression that I was not allowed to have Depression. I hid for many years, no fault to others, but my own. I had denied that I was sick and needed help. It was confusion for me. I am sorry to all of the people around me that I have affected negatively with my inability to seek help earlier in my life. Denial was definitely the first stage for me. Stories and situations made up in my mind from no facts or evidence. I just assumed I was having a bad day. Over and over and over. And it was taboo for me to say anything about it to anyone.


I feel like I wasted a lot of my life, especially the last seven or eight years. Maybe I didn't. I just don't know.

"The first step toward change is awareness. The second is acceptance."
                                                                      - Nathaniel Branden

Yours Truly,

T.J. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment