Sunday 20 March 2016

Hospitals and Exposing Nash

Hospitals & Exposing Nash - This excerpt was written February 27, 2016

Nash is coming to Yarmouth today. I currently resided at the Psychiatric Ward at the Yarmouth Regional Hospital. It is my home while I get better. I never thought Yarmouth, Nova Scotia would have such a profound impact on my life. I don't think I rather be anywhere else while trying to get better. This is the best environment for me. Everything from the doctors to the nurses to my new relationships, this place has been life-saving. Truly, life-saving.

During my first stay here at the hospital, I didn't want to talk to Nash. I felt ashamed. I couldn't handle it. I would break down immediately. It was too much for me. As I was slowly getting better, I could gradually get back to talking with him. My dad asked me yesterday if it would be OK to bring Nash to the hospital to see me like 'this'. The stigma of Mental Health was probably in the back of his mind. I am trying to destroy that stigma. I need to expose my son to this place. He needs to see how his daddy is and that there is help available. He needs to understand that being sick can come in many forms. Cancer. Influenza. Strep Throat. Depression. I will educate my son on Mental Illness. When he is old enough, I will explain it in-depth to him. Right now, he knows his daddy has to be in the hospital to get better. He is almost four years old. He can comprehend that. I want my son to see firsthand that being in the hospital to get help is a wonderful thing.

I used to hate the idea of hospitals. I really did. I didn't have any reason to have that bias opinion.All of my moms sisters are nurses. I say it is bias because my belief was this; hospitals are a place where people go to die. That is incorrect. Fact is, hospitals are places where people need to go to get medical attention. To get help. To be cared for. To hopefully feel better. To stay alive. Graveyards and morgues are places to go die. Not hospitals. Hospitals are great. They are not great because of the high technological machines or medicines. They are great because of the professionals that work there. The people that care for you. They are life savers. I am forever grateful to them.

So on that point, I need my son to understand that as well. Nothing to be afraid of. He needs to see me here. He won't understand why yet, but someday he will. I want him to be comfortable around people with Mental Health issues. I am not hiding my Depression from him. I am trying to teach my son about respect of other people and that people are unique. Everyone is their own person. I also want to teach him that there is no shame on voluntarily coming to the hospital to seek help. I thought before I could shield him from my demons, my illness. That's not how it should be. He needs to see me at my worst. Only then, he can begin to understand. Plus, he will bring a smile to my face. he has that ability. I even thought him to say the word 'Depression'.

My life is or has been changed forever. By coming to this hospital seeking the professionals help was the smartest thing I've ever done. Not sure what road I would have been heading down otherwise. The road I am on is not paved. It is bumpy. There are many sharp turns. Some days there is no fog. Some days there is too much fog. There are hills. Steep inclines. When it rains, it pours. I use my wipers. Though, there are some days when the wipers don't work. They tend to fail me from time to time. There are dangerous driving conditions. There are some areas of the road where I drive by edges of mountains. Some days I can drive fast, but mostly I go slow. I have to go slow because I can't see the road ahead. No further than what is directly in front of me. It seems to be constantly under construction. My GPS is obsolete. There are no alternative routes. No detours for me. No short cuts. There are rest stops along this road. I fuel up and get necessary maintenance done. I drive it all myself. There is only me behind the wheel. There are some landslides. Almost got smashed by a boulder. I don't take advantages of the passing lanes. Ironically, they only appear when I am low on fuel and need to stop for a fill up. When the snow starts to fly, the driving becomes hazardous. Vision is decreased. Speed is reduced even more. Tires don't do to well in the snow. The heater is also broken. My adjustment to the road has been a challenge. I am transitioning well, though. I got help from travelers going in the same direction. Getting help from a few hitch hikers. I was getting help from people that head down a different road and it didn't work for them. There will be more obstacles. Road blocks and unscheduled construction. All of that can make a driver want to quit. Never to push on anymore. That's when a crash can occur. And no survivors. Sorry, survivor.

The road is complex, but at least I am on it. I need to stay the course. I don't have a detailed flight plan. I don't know what will come around the next bend, but I am not afraid of it. My acceptance of fear has put any external frightening things to rest. If the road was smooth and straight, I wouldn't be a good driver. It would be too easy. I wouldn't be able to develop the skills to handle the tight turns or slippery sections. Easy is no longer a word in my vocabulary. Everything from this point on will be hard.  I accept that. I understand that. Anyone can drive on a straight, smooth road. My life will be a tough highway, but I am OK with that. I am trying to get prepared for that, although I am not sure I will ever fully be prepared. I am confident I will be able to face most challenges. So, it is time for me to get in the car and buckle up because this road will push me to my limits. But, I can go to those limits and see what I am truly made of.

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."
                                                                                                                      - Winston  Churchill
Yours Truly,


T.J. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment