Tuesday 24 May 2016

You vs. Me- A poem by T.J. Smith



You vs. Me

T.J., you’re too sick. Why don’t you just give in?
Depression, I am too strong. You’re not going to win.

TJ., I am not going away. I will always be with you.
Depression, that’s fine by me, I am just getting started too.

T.J., let’s be real, you cannot handle the pain.
Depression, I can endure, even though you’re in my brain.

T.J., I knocked you down before, again and again.
Depression, I got up each time. I am well train.

T.J., why don’t you just go pick up the knife?
Depression, it’s only early and I am full of life.

T.J., I can control you and make you fear.
Depression, not anymore. Your terror I can bear.

T.J., what about the rope?
Depression, I am bursting with hope.

T.J., maybe a gun?
Depression, life is too fun.

T.J., I will put you in the ground.
Depression, do you hear that sound?

T.J., what are you talking about?
Depression, you’re on your way out.

T.J., oh no I am not, not yet I am.
Depression, yes you are. I don't give a damn.

T.J., you are in denial.
Depression, no I am not. I found my smile.

T.J., you’re going to slip up.
Depression, it may be just a minor hiccup.

T.J., this is not over. I am not done.
Depression, not a problem, because so far, I have won!

"What winning is to me is not giving up, is no matter what's thrown at me, I can take it. And I can keep going."
                                                                                         - Patrick Swayze

Yours Truly, 

T.J. Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment