Sunday 17 July 2016

Sunday's and Gratitude - Sunday, July 17, 2016

Today is Sunday. I didn’t get out of the bed until 1:00 pm. Even then, it felt like a chore. I am starting to recognize a pattern. Or, it may be a coincidence. Sunday’s, for whatever reason, seem to be my worst day of the week.

Do I have a reason for this conclusion? No. Not really. It is the day of the week that I feel I am the most bored or have less things to do. I am jobless. What the hell do I have to do any other day? Maybe I perceive it as a day of emptiness, therefore accept it as such. About a month ago, it was another Sunday; I stayed in bed until 8:00 pm.

When I drank, Sunday’s would be the worst. A hangover from the two previous nights of drinking would be the cause. They were the most depressing days ever. I guess in a twisted way, that’s when thoughts of suicide slowly began to enter my reality. I have heard people joke the day after drinking they wish they were dead. I reflect back and to be honest, I don’t think it was a joke for me. I sincerely hated myself, and thus wanted to end it.

I was distant from people today. Short with them. Not in a rude way, but in the sense of, “just leave me to be alone, please.” It took a conversation with a friend in the later part of the afternoon to help improve my mood. That’s what friends are for; to help you when you are down. After the conversation, I garnered the energy to go to Tim Horton’s to have a coffee and do some reading. The reading, coffee, but most of all, the conversation motivated me to realize I don’t need to let Sunday’s get me down.

If you asked me at 1:00 pm how I felt on the Sickter Scale, I would say about a 3, which is very low. At about 6:30 pm, the same question would have got an answer of 6, which is good. Instead of being miserable and feeling sorry for myself, and with the help of a friend, my mood got better. After some reading, I realized I need to do something more often in my life.

I need to be more grateful.

I used to have a sense of entitlement- the sense or feeling that I deserved extra or better just because. I used to think I didn’t need to work hard and I should be rewarded for that. I used to think, because of who I am (which I realize now, is a nobody), I should get certain merits or advantages in life. I understand now, that entitlement, in my opinion, is something that I want to create a distance from my name as much as I can. In order to do that, I have to change a few things in my life. Atop of that list, as far as I am concern, is gratitude.

“Thank you” may be the simplest, yet, most invigorating phrase we can say to another human being or beings. I am currently reading a book and just reading a chapter on Gratitude. One line that stood out to me was, “Gratitude is many things to many people.” Again, not my words, something I read. It is so true. I used to be terrible for being grateful and not showing my appreciation for things in life. Maybe my ‘sense of entitlement’ was a huge reason for that flaw. Who am I kidding? It was. I was a self-righteous shit, that felt I didn’t have to work hard for anything and I should be handed things. I don’t know when and where I developed that attitude, but I am glad just as I learned it somewhere, I can unlearn it now. And I have.

Since coming to terms with my illness and facing it head on, I have done a lot of growing as a person. I am trying to improve as a human being and become a better person. Happiness is something I am on the search for. Some days I believe I have found it. Other days, I want to eat a bullet. There are peaks and valleys. I have grasped the concept of expressing my gratitude to show my appreciation and what I am grateful for in my life. Showing gratitude to others is helping me find happiness. Whatever the situation, experience, or dilemma, gratitude has helped me climb out of the trenches.

I suffer from Major Depression and it sucks. In my eyes, it is very-well a chronic illness. I don’t see an end near. What I mean, I can’t see a day in the future when I won’t have Depression. Maybe that day will come when I am Depression-free. Maybe it won’t. As of today, it is a chronic illness and I am enduring it best I can. I choose how I handle my disease. I am trying to tackle it head on, with an open mind and heart. I am trying to be positive. I am trying to find the happiness in my life. Being grateful has helped me find some of that happiness.

Before speaking about my illness and beginning this epic war, I didn’t appreciate things in life. Obviously, my illness prevented me from being grateful because I had no emotions and didn’t care about anything. I wasn’t grateful to my ex-girlfriend who moved three or four times so I could try to pursue a career in coaching. I wasn’t grateful to people that had helped me out with things along the way. I wasn’t grateful when I got my dream job of coaching. I wasn’t grateful to my parents for all the support they have given me in my life. I wasn’t grateful to my friends for being there in times of need. I just wasn’t grateful for anything. Saying ‘thank-you’ seemed far-fetched for me.

Now, as I matured and done some soul-searching, I realize how grateful I am. I am grateful that I have a beautiful, healthy son that I still get to see even though his mother and I are no longer together. I am grateful for talking to my parents every day and for being with me every step of the way with my battle. They haven’t left my side once. I am grateful for my sister for letting me live with her and her boyfriend. I am grateful for my friends that still consider me a friend after all these years of being an ungrateful fuck. I am grateful for friends, like the one today, that doesn’t mind talking to me when I am not having the greatest of days. I am grateful I get to continue coaching this coming fall. I am grateful for the Mental Health staff at the Yarmouth Regional Hospital for taking care of me since January. Most of all, I am grateful I am still alive and I have everybody that I mentioned above to thank for that.

This is what I want to do to express my gratitude. It is an idea. I don’t know if it would ever fly or even get off the ground. I only came up with it today, so it is still in its infancy. I want to make care packages and send them to patients in Mental Health hospitals/units that suffer from Depression. As a former patient, there are a lot of unknowns and fears when going to a hospital for the first time. I think a care package can help alleviate or lessen the original fear, sadness, confusion, or anger of being admitted to the hospital for Depression. I went into the Mental Health unit full of confusion and fear and had no idea what to expect. I think a care package would be a great thing to comfort patients and hopefully ease the negativity behind the stigma and experience of being in the hospital. It is just a small gesture from my end to show how thankful I am for being alive, but to also show people that there is hope, even though it may not seem like it at that very moment of being in the hospital. I don’t know what I would name it. T.J.’s Depression Packs or T.J.’s Depression Survival Kit, or something along those lines. Anyways, it is just a thought I have.

“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend”
                                                                                    - Melody Beattie
Yours Truly,

T.J. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment