Tuesday 23 April 2019

My Incomplete 2019 NHL Playoff Predictions

I am becoming more interested in writing. It is a passion for me. But this time instead of writing about my journey or struggles, or someone else's, I took a different route.

I have not posted in quite some time. So, before the 2019 NHL Playoffs start, I was just messing around one day after work and began to write about my true passion, hockey.

I am far from a professional writer, but what I did here was give some thoughts on the NHL Playoffs. I did not get it completed but I figure I would share regardless.


I began writing Blogs back in 2016 as a therapeutic approach to my mental illness. I wrote about everything, and in the process, discovered I really enjoy writing. That being said, I have not written much of anything in the last 12 months. My mental illness is under control, and to be honest, I have covered most issues surrounding that topic. So what now? What can I write about now?

The answer was right in front of me. In January 2018, I had to move back to my hometown in Northern Newfoundland and in with my parents. Not sure what was lying ahead of me, I made the move with an open mind.

I grew up in a hockey household. Albeit, a Toronto maple Leaf household.

My dad was and is, hardcore into hockey. He plays in two hockey leagues. He hosts regular season and playoff hockey pools. He is in about 20 hockey pools per year. Hell, Wendall Clark and Doug Gilmour were posters hung on the wall above our kitchen table when I was a kid. Naturally, I grew up reading The Hockey News.

Since last January, I have watched a lot of NHL hockey. Most I ever have in my life. When I was coaching Junior ‘A’ hockey, I would be so consumed from those games, I didn’t want to watch hockey when I got home from the rink. The past 16 months have given me the opportunity to follow the NHL closer. Montreal Canadiens are my team, but I am a fan of the sport and all teams. Trying to figure out how teams play within their systems, the evolution of goaltending, and the increasingly noticeable speed of the game (just not skating, but how teams move the puck) have become intriguing to me as a fan.

I am not going to recap my history of playing and coaching here. I am just going to use my passion for hockey and writing to give my point of view or opinion on hockey-related topics. I tend to think outside of the box and ask weird or difficult questions.

With that being said, my first hockey-related Blog will be about the upcoming 2019 NHL Playoffs. I am a huge Elliotte Friedman fan. Maybe someday, he will ask my opinion on some topics, if my writing is improves and my content makes sense. (Allowed to dream, right?)

My topic for this entry will be me asking questions for each team heading into the 2019 Playoffs. Hopefully, this gives readers a chance to create/develop their own opinions. I am not here to tell you what is right or wrong. I will simply raise a few questions to be thought about.

Western Conference
Calgary Flames. The Flames finished first in the Western Conference. They were 12-10-1 against all Western playoff teams, and have beaten them all in the Regular Season, except the Dallas Stars. Their Goals For per Game (GF/G) was all over 3 against playoff teams, except against the Stars. Calgary was led by some top end forwards and solid defense core, led by captain mark Giordano, who had an amazing season.
Question 1: Who will be their starting goalie? Rittich is 27-9-5 with a .911 save percentage (SV %) and 2.61 Goals Against Average (GAA). Smith is 23-15-2 with a .898 SV % and 2.72 GAA. This team scored a lot of goals this season, 2nd most in the league actually. I question their goaltending. Is it good enough? Who is #1? Does it matter who is #1? Last year, the Stanley Cup Winners started with their hot goalie going into playoffs, but ended up with their regular starter winning the final game.
Question 2: Can Johnny Gaudreau handle the wear and tear of a playoff series or multiple series? He’s dynamite offensively. But he is small. When teams begin to lean on him hard and finish every check on him, how will he bounce back? I think he’s a fantastic player, I just worry when the games get ‘heavier’, how will he respond?
Personal Thoughts: I feel Calgary is a solid team, but a few years away from being a top team. Yes, I know the Regular Season was great to them, but can they win games other ways than scoring over 3.6 goals per game?
Past 10 games (not counting game #82): 6-4.
Last four playoff appearances (2018, ‘17, ’16, and ’15): Did Not Qualify, Loss Rd 1, DNQ, Loss Rd 2

San Jose Sharks. In February, I told my friends that I believe that the Sharks will win the 2019 Stanley Cup. The last part of March was rough for them. San Jose core has been around for some time. They have playoff experience. They can score. They are not small. They arguably have the best defense core in the NHL when healthy. That’s my reasoning to as why they will win the Cup. Here are the concerns;
Question 1: Which Martin Jones will show up? During the 2015-16 Cup run, Jones was 14-10, .923 SV % and 2.16 GAA. No wonder they got to play for the Stanley Cup. This year, he is 35-19-5 with a low SV % at .896 and high GAA at 2.95. The Sharks are 22nd in NHL Goals Against (GA). He needs to be better if they want to win some rounds.
Question 2: How healthy is Erik Karlsson? Doug Wilson went all in getting Karlsson. He has missed about 30 games this season. If healthy, he could be a Conn Smythe candidate, he’s that instrumental to a team. If he is not, how will he contribute? He is also up for a contract in the summer. Maybe an exceptional playoff run can get him a few more dollars, on top of the eight digit payday he’s getting anyways.
Personal Thoughts: I am sticking with my prediction that the San Jose Sharks will win the 2019 Stanley Cup with Brent Burns winning the Conn Smythe.
Past 10 games: 2-7-1
Last four playoff appearances: Loss Rd 2, Loss Rd 1, Loss Cup Finals, DNQ

Vegas Golden Knights. The Golden Knights have not disappointed in their second season and showing that last year was not a fluke. Picking up Mark Stone at the NHL Trade Deadline was huge for them. Stone is not a one-dimensional player. He helps in many areas. Vegas are 10-12-1 against the teams that have qualified for the Western Conference playoffs. This team will not go under the radar this post-season. I really enjoy watching this team play. They play fast with and without the puck.
Question 1: How good are they? All their stats show that they aren’t a top tier team, but aren’t far from it. The Powerplay will need to be better for them. Penalty Kill is top 10 in the NHL. They are top 15 in Goals For (GF) and top 10 in GA and above league average in the faceoff dot. But are they a top team?
Question 2: How much does Marc-Andre Fleury have left in the tank? He’s a Hall of Famer. Three Stanley Cups in five appearances. He knows how to get it done in the spring. He is now 34 years old and missed some games this season. For Vegas to be successful, he needs to be on point.
Personal Thoughts: They are playing my prediction for Cup winners in the first round. An excellent team will be eliminated immediately. They could reach the finals once again.
Past 10 games: 4-4-2
Last four (well, one) playoff appearance: Loss Cup Finals

Nashville Predators. The Central Division was the best in the NHL in 2018-19. The Predators are atop of this division. They are 11-15-1 against Western Conference playoff teams. Their strength is in goal and on the blueline. They do not give up many goals, 4th least in the NHL to be exact. The defensemen drive this team. They have some nice pieces up front, but not sure if there is a bonafide star (Forsberg is close). Their PP, believe it or not, is last in the NHL at 12.7%.  Rinne has been good, but not as good as his Vezina season just 365 days ago. The Predators are going to be a tough matchup for anyone in the West.
Question 1: Will the PP come to life? Special teams are monumental in the post-season. 12.7% may not get it done. The low PP % also demonstrates why they are 19th in GF this season. On a team considered a cup contender, they only have three players with 20 or more goals. Can they win every game 2-1? Maybe.
Question 2: Can they score enough to win? They play extremely well in the playoffs, so it seems. But their path to the Cup, like all the Central Division teams, will be a challenge. Last year, the Predators were the favourites going into the playoffs. Their lack of scoring this season has them on a leveler playing field with the other seven teams.
Personal Thoughts: I am not one to lie, I am not a fan. Ever since Laviolette disrespected Steve Ott in one of the “Road to the Winter Classic” episodes a few years back, I don’t like them. I recognize that they are an excellent team and Nashville is a city I would love to see a game at, but I think they may lose in first round.
Past 10: 7-2-1
Last four playoff appearances: Loss Rd 2, Loss Cup Finals, Loss Rd 2, Loss Rd 1

St. Louis Blues. The surprise of the Central for me, are the Blues. Craig Berube is 37-19-6 since taking over and have them in the playoffs. Along with Jordan Binnington coming out of nowhere, well, from Richmond Hill, the Blues have had a great season. They have 13 players with 10 goals or more. They have one of the best two-way centermen in the NHL with one of my favourites, Ryan O’Reilly. The Blues were 16-8-2 against the playoff teams in the West. Their defensemen are more than adequate. Sounds like this could be the year.
Question 1: Can Binnington keep up his dream season? This was his breakout year and will get votes (1st place votes) for Calder Trophy as league’s top rookie. His numbers are surreal. In 31 games played, he is 23-5-1. His SV % is .927 and has a 1.89 GAA. These are not only Calder Trophy numbers, but Vezina numbers over a full season.
Question 2: Is their 2nd line good enough? Dave Perron was a healthy scratch in the Cup Finals last year with Vegas. They have balance after their first line, but not sure if they have a ‘dangerous’ second or third line. Their 2nd and 3rd lines are good, not great, in my opinion.
Personal Thoughts: Can do some damage in the playoffs. They are an interesting team. Again, the Central is so tight, they could be done in four games or be in the Conference Finals.
Past 10 games: 7-1-2
Last four playoff appearances: DNQ, Loss Rd 2, Loss Rd 3, Loss Rd 1

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for this one. And I hope this will be useful for many people.. and I am waiting for your next post keep on updating these kinds of knowledgeable things.
    Causas da Depressão

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very interesting; you are a very skilled blogger. I have shared your website in my social networks! A very nice guide. I will definitely follow these tips. Thank you for sharing such detailed article.
    will help you more:
    como sair da depressão

    ReplyDelete